Perpetual activities are activities running periodically on a monthly, quarterly or semiannually basis.
Perpetual activities are fully automated
If you in any way have perpetual activities or just roll over your schedule from one period to another we strongly advise you to implement this feature as it frees up a lot of resources and makes your scheduling fast and error free.
All participants enrolled in a perpetual activity will be registered on the upcoming schedules activity accordingly.
Moving participants around between different activities or levels will have to be done manually.
In order to get the feature going most of the work is done up front and one time only. Here are the headlines for the feature setup.
- Contact Support to initiate the underlying settings
- Setup your closing days important!
- Choose the groups to include
- Set lesson based prices (optional)
- Exclude individual activities (optional)
- Exclude time slots with arbitrary data
- That's it - Let the cloud take over
1. Contact support to start the feature
Support will open up the perpetual roll over and you are good to go.
These are the main settings
Support will set these based on information from you
- PERPETUAL_ACTIVE ➡ Activates your perpetual features
- PERPETUAL_INSTRUCTOR_TYPE_PRIORITY ➡ Controls the instructor types you want included and the priority they are handled in. The default is 'main, supervisor, stand-by, assistant, office, on-deck' and means instructors with these types are included and that an instructor with different types on different lessons will get the 'highest' type in the new schedule.
- PERPETUAL_RUN_DAYS_BEFORE_START ➡ This sets when the roll-over runs. It is calculated in days before the new term start date. Note that it sets days based on the first of the month, quarter or 6-month period - Not the actual schedule start date which can be different based on your closing days.
- PERPETUAL_RUN_MONTH_DAY ➡ Adjusts the above setting to a specific day of the month. Ie PERPETUAL_RUN_DAYS_BEFORE_START should just be within the desired month and this will set it to the specified date
- PERPETUAL_OFFSET_WEB_ENABLED_START_DATE ➡ Sets the individual date for opening the activities to the public online. Number of days after the roll-over execution date
- PERPETUAL_REG_PAYMENT_DATE_DAYS_OFFSET ➡ Sets the payment date to number of days before the activity start date
- PERPETUAL_REG_PAYMENT_DATE_MONTH_DAY ➡ Adjusts the above setting to a specific day of the month. Ie PERPETUAL_REG_PAYMENT_DATE_DAYS_OFFSET should just be within the desired month and this will set it to the specified date
2. Register your closing days
This is very important in order to avoid setting yourself up for a lot of manual corrections.
You should register all closed days in your facilities as such. This means that you not only setup the regular Holidays but even the periods where your business is closed for Summer, Christmas or the like. These are examples of closing days you should register (Remember: Closing days can be individual per facility.)
- Country specific Holidays
- Individual days where your business is closed
- Summer leave, Christmas leave and such
Especially the last example is important to remember: If you are running a monthly perpetual schedule and you are closed say during parts of or the entire month of July you register the exact and entire period as closing days. If you don't you will have activities and lessons running during this period and you will have to correct this manually.
3. Mark included groups
If you want activities to roll over in your perpetual schedule you have to mark the entire group for 'Perpetual'. You choose either 'Monthly', 'Quarterly' or 'Semiannually'.
If your activities run from 7th of August to 20th of December you choose 'Semiannually' and adjust the start and end date respectively by registering the corresponding closing days. The same goes for schedules corresponding to Monthly and Quarterly.
That's all the mandatory steps you have to take in order to get your perpetual schedule rolling. But read on as some of the below steps are needed to register your everyday updates to the schedule like change of instructor and such.
Steps needed for adjusting the schedule
These settings adjust the upcoming perpetual roll-over and has to be registered if you want changes in the next schedule.
4. If you have lesson based prices
If all or some of your activities have pricing based on the number of lessons in a term you can set that directly on the respective activities.
You should not alter your activity price if you set the 'Price/lesson'! The 'Price/lesson' field is only active on the perpetual roll-over and will automatically adjust the price for the "new" activity.
5. Exclude individual activities
If you have certain activities you do not wish to roll-over to the next schedule you simply mark that/those activities 'Perpetual Exclude'. This leaves the activity and enrolled participants out of the upcoming perpetual roll-over.
6. Exclude specific timeslots
When you check the 'Perpetual Exclude' on a timeslot it will exclude this area, instructor and timeslot if they are different from included timeslots.
It is very important to mark timeslots with data you do not want in the upcoming perpetual schedule. You would typically mark timeslots with the following data to avoid getting them in the upcoming roll-over:
- An extra timeslot with a different time
- A timeslot which you have placed in another area than usual
- Timeslots with an instructor who is not continuing in the next term (in other words: When you have switched the main instructor from one instructor to another)
- It is not necessary to mark timeslots with changes where the instructor type is outside of the list under bullet point 1
Please note that new activities have all timeslots unchecked and in the near future timeslots where you alter instructor, area or other data will be checked. You can always override this by checking/unchecking manually.
Please note what is included
Example of monthly perpetual schedule
- You are running an activity with one weekly timeslot every Monday 4 to 5pm
- The current schedule has 4 timeslots (4 Mondays that month)
- The upcoming schedule will have 5 timeslots (5 Mondays that month)
- You mark the first and the second timeslots as 'Perpetual Exclude' due to stand-in instructor (or any other reason)
- As the times on all timeslots are the same the upcoming schedule will of course have 5 timeslots (every Monday 4 to 5pm)
- All the areas and instructors on unchecked timeslots will be rolled over to every timeslot on the upcoming schedule according to rules set